Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the 2022 Montreal Masters due to an abdominal injury. He suffered the injury during the quarter-finals match in Wimbledon Open 2022. Fighting through an injury scare and coming back from behind, Rafa defeated Taylor Fritz to move into the semi-finals of the English Grand Slam. The Spaniard, triumphed over American player, Fritz 3-6 7-5 3-6 7-5 7-6 (10-4) in the quarter-finals.
Nadal started struggling from the first set and took a medical timeout at the end of the second set. However, the abdominal injury could not stop the juggernaut that is Rafa. He came from behind to win the marathon match.
"After speaking with my doctor, we prefer to take things in a conservative way and give a few more days before starting to compete," says five-time @NBOtoronto champion Rafael Nadal, who has withdrawn from next week's Montreal ATP 1000 with an ab injury: https://t.co/3yYBltvYSD
— TENNIS (@Tennis) August 5, 2022
Looking good during practice sessions on tennis courts after the Wimbledon Open injury mishap, fans awaited his return to Canada. However, Rafa shared the sad news of his withdrawal. He said, “I have been practicing for a while now without serving and started with serves four days ago. Everything has been going well. However, yesterday, after my normal practice, I felt a slight bother on my abdominal and today it was still there.”
He added, “After speaking with my doctor, we prefer to take things in a conservative way and give a few more days before starting to compete.”
US Open future of Rafael Nadal is in doubt due to the abdominal injury scare
Rafael Nadal’s win over Fritz pushed him to his 8th Wimbledon Open semi-finals. However, he had to pull out of the game doubt due to the abdominal injury. He said, “I am used to holding pain and play with problems. Knowing that, when I feel something like I felt, that is because something is not going the proper way in abdomen. There has been an important increase of pain and limitation.”
Previously the director of the Montreal Masters 1000, Eugène Lapierre had confirmed that Nadal is ready to go back on court. Eugène talked about Rafael Nadal’s return to the court. The director said, “Nadal really wants to come to Montreal and his hotel rooms are already booked. He was sent a crate of balls to use during the tournament to prepare. He is expected to return to training.”
Due to the tear in his abdomen, Rafa had to withdraw from the semi-finals of the English Grand Slam. His opponent in the semi-finals, Nick Kyrgios was given the grace to move forward to the final due to the withdrawal. This particular injury is affecting his chances of playing in the 2022 US Open. He pulled out of the Canadian Masters which is the tune-up tournament for the American Grand Slam. People around the world are awaiting news from Rafa’s team to confirm his return to the US Open.
Discussion about this post